Raydium 3D Game Engine

Official forum for everything about Raydium, ManiaDrive, MeMak, ...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cuby / iphone
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:31 am 

Hi,

First of all, my english is not very good, so please, be indulgent :)

I tried cuby on my iphone 3G (3.0) and it does not work. I can start the game, everything seems to load correctly.

I see the main menu but when I put my finger on the screen, most of the time the game stop. Sometime I can tap on "start" and see the next menu but it stops when I try to go further.

If you want more informations, I'll do my best to help.

Post subject: Re: Cuby / iphone
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:20 am 

Thanks for trying out Cuby on the iPhone OS! :)

First I should say that my attention in the current Cuby releases was the game itself, the internals of the program, defining the game world and I've quickly released everything, perhaps too quickly.

Indeed the Cuby version for the iPhone is a mess at the current state.
I also agree with you that the game nearly every time seems to load correctly and after some time playing it'll stop working.
But I remember to be able to play some 3x3 levels with my iPhone 2G (2.2).

I haven't installed the iPhone 3.0 SDK yet, so the Cuby builds are made with the iPhone 2.2 SDK, but that shouldn't be the problem.
As time permits, my plan is to update the Raydium SDKs for Mac OS X and the iPhone OS when the new Mac OS X 10.6 aka Snow Leopard was released (shipping in September).
After that step, when I hopefully find more time working on Cuby, I want to create and release a better version of Cuby in general and also a better one specialized for the iPhone OS, optimized use of the available controls on the device and so on.

At the moment, an ugly quick solution could be to set the raydium_render_fps_limit to a value lower than the current one, so the game will stutter visually, but will work without UIApplicationDelegate shutdowns, otherwise please stay with another package.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:38 am 

You have to know that at my work (It's summer, we have not much work to do), all my colleagues are playing ! One of them finished the "crasy cube" set of levels and just began the "3D logic 2" one. He has earned all our admiration ! (He was disappointed when he discovered there where no congratulations message at the very end. :D )

It's a great game, I hope you will find time to improve it (eg : to save the curent level to close the game) :)

I have just one question, on my work computer, I have this message while I try to start the game :

Raydium: Raydium 3D Game Engine
Raydium: version 0.800
Raydium: command line args: OK
Raydium: chdir to './': OK
Raydium: using 'P:\/.cuby' as home dir
Raydium: Requesting 640x480:32 mode
Raydium: (my)glut: ERROR: Unable to open a suitable window

Is this because my computer is too slow ? (I have a lots of applications running like vwmare). I have already played on this computer, but maybe without vwmare running... I will test it again tomorrow.

Thank you for you help and for the game :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:57 pm 

What? You have time to play games at work? :shock:
Does your job have something to do with games by any chance?
I also want to have a job without work, where I've time to play games, at least some minutes a day. :roll:

Nice to hear that you enjoy playing Cuby! 8)

I already know about some things that are needed to improve Cuby, we talked about the game in the initial forum thread.
It seems that the most important features the users want are the auto-save option and congratulations dialog after a finished set of levels.
I'll increase the priority of those items on my to do list.
A new set of 40 levels will be included, too.

Regarding your problem starting the game on your machine at work, I can imagine that you're running a Windows based system.
Your home folder path "P:\/.cuby" looks a bit ugly to me, but perhaps your machine is simply out of memory, because of your virtual guest operating systems.
I can't figure out much with the given information, so I'll wait until your test tomorrow.

Thanks for reporting that you like the game, for the general feedback, ideas and improvements, this highly motivates me to continue working on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:07 am 

Well, my job is not linked to games, except that we have time to play. ;)

Regarding my problem to launch the game on my work computer, I really don't understand what happends because both of my collegues work with the same computer (with dual screen), the same parameters (P:\) and they can play. I've made tests and it still does not work, with the same error message each time.

Don't spend time on it, I can play at home and soon on my iphone ;) (the cuby like game I told you is named "3D logic" if you want to try it, you will see your is easier to play :) )

(It's very funny because my two collegues in my office are playing and regularly close the game by mistake. They insult a little the game, but always launch the game again and again to go further in the levels ;) )

Bye and as we say in France, "bon courage" (I don't know how to say it in english)