Raydium 3D Game Engine

Official forum for everything about Raydium, ManiaDrive, MeMak, ...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:41 pm 

Hi all, i`m new at this forum... :roll:
I saw and tryed some C engines, but they are all have not do important thins, but raydium can do it as i see... so i want to try it:)
And have some usual questions already too :)

Two years ago i desided to start mmo(rp)g project, in fact of existing projects are all based on C++ engines(for now acctually i don`t speak about concept and other of game, just about 3d game engines). I`ve tryed not one of those engines... and was very disappointed about some general problems of C++ engines such as: speed(not with inline asm), memory alloc problems(damn it problemm, i don`t like C++ for some things - as: i don`t know what`s happening in my allocated memory, i don`t see how structs are creatings and etc...), all people who use c++ engines says that it`s very simple to programm on c++ 3d - yep, but when they begin to use c++ engines they lost thier dependenses freedom and so on.... much problemms they tryed to bypass.
So from that points and not only that... i have some questions:
1) I have my own threaded networking on C, can i use raydium network funcs without all-raydium on server side or i need to modify my threaded network on server-side?(if raydium can this - it will be very progressive and usefull _much_ usefull :shock: :!: :!: :!: )
2) Is raydium use assembler inside? it`s important for speed and stability, i think
3) Is raydium can pluging?

Thx for spended time to read\answer this questions :)

PS. if i see that it`s completly can do what i need for technical project, you will have first(or not first? i don`t know :wink: ) mmo(rp)g on raydium. Acctually thinking about client-side app, i need about half of an year for rewrite code on raydium.
PS.S. i have not yet perfect english grammer, only speak english free :) so, sorry about it:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:18 pm 

Hi,

1) I'm not sure to understand your question ? Raydium provides its own network protocol with a complete client/server stack. Then, you've many possibilites :
- Use only the Raydium client part and makes your server compatible with the protocol
- Use your own server and your own client, on top of Raydium
- Rewrite a bit your server to make it using Raydium network server API (witch is VERY simple).
- ... Any mix of all this ...

2) Raydium is entirely written in C, and does not use any ASM code (witch makes it portable). I'm not sure that ASM gives any performance boost over C for a modern 3D Engine :) (but it makes the whole project much more complex, IMHO)

3) What do you mean exactly by "plugins" ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:01 pm 

:)

1) yep :), i asked about only net raydium module, but if protocol very simple(just right now read reference about it), think i willnot use any of network api besides own(it`s workable and pretty fast&stable)
2) it possible to use asm with portability too imho(i`m using ANSI C with asm{} for fast operrations). but you right... thx
3) Plugin interface :) i mean(to add futures modules or other)

thx, for answers :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:06 pm 

There were some work started on this subject, but I think that currently the network protocol is not (correctly) documented. We should take a look at this.

Raydium does not provide any plugin support, and is provided as a monolithic core. The idea is quiet nice, and I'll think about it ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:55 pm 

It would be perfect(i mean documenting network protocol).
Thx for answers, from next week i will start rewrite client code with raydium to see how it will be(my current engine half-somelibs half-ownwrote-libs not perfect and sadly unstable - i think it`s because different libs were compiled togather sometimes conflicts... cleanup code needed).

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:59 pm 

IMHO, network raydium module without raydium (for server-side) will be good too :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:39 pm 

brahmann, will your project be gpl? raydium has gpl license, just informing :D
Anyway i love morpgs so i want to know everything about your progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:35 am 

vicente, hi, yep - for now and for next all time in any cases it will be gpl(and now ofcourse under gpl).

:) my one friend tell me two years ago to create website, but for those time i havenot any result to show, now a have but beta with bugs, later i will :)
Yesterday i build some demos with raydium - was impressed :) So i will rewrite as fast as i can client with raydium, and then will create web :) so you can watch the results:)