Raydium 3D Game Engine

Official forum for everything about Raydium, ManiaDrive, MeMak, ...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: From a new user.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:00 pm 

Hello my name is steve.

I just wanted to stop by and share my first experience with raydium.

First off i am a ruby programmer and a dedicated gnu/linux user always have been always will be
but i have gotten to a point with ruby were i can't progress any farther with out learning c.

Learning c is an absolute must in order to build ruby bindings sure i could have learned c++ and built ruby bindings with that and used ogre or irrlicht or some other 3d game engine but from what c++ i have learned it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth i figured since c is the most recommended lang to use with ruby i decided to try to learn it and i set out gathering docs and tutorials that will teach me how to do in c what i can already do in ruby and also to find out what i can do in c that i can't do in ruby and 3d game programming was that one thing on the top of my list but also seemed just to far out of my reach.

Thats was until i found what seems to be the only 3d game engine that is specifically designed to be used with c and some other scripting languages.

Here is how my first hour went.

1. I downloaded and installed raydium with all deps easy enough except that darn openal
in order to satisfy all deps i had to also install freealut (haahaa) that only took me 30 min to
figure out.

2. Install blender and find a terrain generator script & also find and install tri export scripts
this also confused me because the export script are in the raydium folder but there not
named the same as in the eng tutorial but i figured it out and being that i have only used
blend one other time just fooling around it took some time to figure out how to install them
tri exsport scripts but finaly got it all worked out and was able to make a simple terrain and
convert it from a mesh and final export it.

3. At this point i was studying the only eng example tutorial and the api i was able to get my
model loaded and change all color values of the scene and get atmosphear effect turned on.

Now for everyone here your probably say ya ya ya so what you loaded a model and turned on the atmosphere effects well for me being a total c and raydium newb to accomplish that much in 1 hour of the first day that i have ever used raydium just goes to show raydiums ease of use if i would have tried that with c++ and ogre i would still be sitting here even with all the tutorials to help.

Im going to be asking a lot of questions and building a lot of tutorials for raydium i really want to see this engine take off i started building a ruby/gtk+ gui that will produce for the most part the same effect that you get from torque's game builder like prebuilt and configured blender and terrain & tree generator with makehuman , OSGEdit Scene Editor basically a linux app that will contain everthing to build a game with tutorials.

Thanks Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:12 pm 

Nice!
Just keep one thing in mind, raydium should be as multiplatform as possible. Currently our goals are gnu/linux and win32 (even someone is trying with powerpc and myself will try with PS3 as soon as 3d acceleration will be accessible), so be carefull selecting the libraries you will use if you want to revert your work in raydium again. In other words, you should choose multiplatform libraries.
Surely GTK+ is a good choice.

Other editors like particle editors, vehicle editors and so are already planned (in an undetermined future).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:47 pm 

Hello i relized that i didnt actual need OSGEdit Scene Editor that blender will work just as good everything else Tree Generator (blender script) Humanoid Modeler(makehuman)
Terrain Generator (blender script) Image Editing (gimp) Vector Graphics (inkscape) and what ever other usefull tools i can find will also be cross platform includeing anything i build.
:)

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:43 pm 

First, thanks a lot for reporting your experience with Raydium. Your post is another proof of how ugly are the english tutorials on the Wiki ! Since the amount of work to involve is not that big for solving this, I'm moving the "real" translations of tutorials on top of my TODO.

Another point here is the OpenAL thing ... Since a few months, this dependence is harder and harder to resolv : broken packages, missing or embedded ALUT, various 1.0 and 1.1 conflicts, and limited invariance over platforms. And this was one of the big problems for OSX port of Raydium, it seems.

We must probably think about a new way to help OpenAL install (without breaking the current way it works) like it's possible with ODE and PHP, I think.

Anyway, thank again for your post, and I hope to read you again here ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:36 pm 

If i was documenting raydium i would do it like the ogre3d team did theres.
http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Ogre_Tutorials

Here is a tutorial that i am going to start today.
1. How to install raydium with all deps from source.
2. How to install the raydium tri exporter scripts in blender.
3. How to make a terrian or model and export it useing the raydium blender scripts.
4. How to start a new raydium project and insert the model we exported.

Here are a few questions

A. How many developers and contributers does the raydium team have and what are there jobs?
B. When submitting documentation or tutorials what is the preferred document format
and are the docs/tutorials to be email to a specific email address?

C. Exactly how do the keyboard controls work in the 1st raydium tutorial.
Note: When i whent threw the first tutorial i noticed that the keys were wrong
here is how they should be.

1. PgUp Raises the camera
2. PgDn Lowers the camera
3. UpKey Moves the camera forward
4. DownKey Moves the camera back
5. LeftKey Moves the camera to the left
6. Right key moves the camera to the right

7. Spinning the camera in any direction should be left for the mouse.

D. How do the lighting effect work.

1. How do you make the scene brighter & darker.
2. How do you change the color of the light.

E. How to change the skybox so instead of a blue sky with cloudes we can have a dark star night.

All this information should make for a nice starter tutorial or a couple of tutorials.

Thanks steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:33 pm 

A: the team:
It's hard to answer this ... As many OpenSource projects, we've a few regular contributors (vicente, ouille, SamB, batcox, ... for example) on various subjects, and some "ponctual" contributions (mildred, Totoro, neub, guitou, ... and a lot more). Each one can do what he want, not limited by a particular job. Finally, the only thing is I want to "check" any contribution before it's being included in the official tree (code or data).

B: documentation format:
Should be done in directly on the Wiki.

C: controls in first tutorial:
Since this is the first tutorial, controls a very simplified: left/right/up/down moves the camera in world space, not in camera space. Moving camera like in willou.c is way harder to do (should not be done in a 1st turorial).

D: lights:
There's many way to to it. You can change directly the raydium_light* variables, or better, use functions like raydium_light_conf_7f() (See API reference). You can also have a look to other Rayium demos source code, it can help a lot !

E: skybox change:
Well, nothing else than changing the BOXtop, bottom, left, right, frond and back TGA files (BOXtop.tga, ...). We may perhaps provide a function to allow such changes more easily (nobody have requested it currently, that's it ;) ).

Did it helps a bit ? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:27 pm 

about E
I did a first approch to a dynamic sky(atmospheric) system. Currently it gives strange results but an huge improvement is in my TODO list. Soon or later, it will be done. However a few things have prefference, like animation system (skeletons and ragdoling).

You can test what i'm talking about in the demo train_cloud.c