Raydium 3D Game Engine

Official forum for everything about Raydium, ManiaDrive, MeMak, ...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Maniadrive music license
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:01 pm 

Hi all,

First let me start by introducing myself, I'm a linux enthousiast / developer and a Fedora Linux contributer. I'm currenty working on creating a ManiaDrive package for Fedora.

I've cleared all technical hurdles (like getting a phplib build), but before I can continue I must clear up the license status of the music included with ManiaDrive, as a reminder, here is the list of music included:

* I got it bad (1:48) by The Napoleon Blown Aparts
* Mine tonite (2:08) by Rocket City Riot
* The Devil... (4:15) by Black Moon
* erase and rewind (2:28) by Horstreich
* Nowhere to go (2:06) by The Napoleon Blown Aparts
* MeMak Racer 1 (1:28) by Neub (aka Revision 1.1)
* revenge of yesterday (1:59) by Horstreich
* Superstar Destroyer (2:47) by Zen Ace Ten (website is down ?)
* Bienvenue au Mexique (1:26) by Mage

The website and readme both say that this music is licensed under a "Creative Commons 2.0" license, but that is not conclusive information as there are many Creative Commons 2.0 licenses.

The website links to Creative Commons 2.0 by-sa as license, but that doesn't seem right, before finding this link on the website I did some searching for the music on the web.

The "The Napoleon Blown Aparts" and "Rocket City Riot" music comes from magnatune, and magnatunes music is licensed under a
Creative Commons 2.0 by-nc-sa license, notice the additional nc which stands for Non Commercial.

The Horstreich music comes from Horstreich's own website and according to that website is again licensed as Creative Commons 2.0 by-nc-sa

The Black Moon music is the only one which as far as I can tell is indeed licensed as Creative Commons 2.0 by-sa, so without the NC clause, for the other music I couldn't find out the specific licenses.

So this brings me to the question, did you get permission from the musicians to distribute their music under Creative Commons 2.0 by-nc-sa (without the NC!), or is the link on the website wrong?

This is important because the NC clause is not acceptable for Fedora (we will still be distributing maniadrive in that case, but with the music removed).

Thanks & Regards,

Hans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:21 pm 

As long as i know the music was only intended to be "free", so any CC license was right for ManiaDrive in the moment we choose them.
I think we don't paid attention if the licenses were CC with NC or not.

But i think is not a big problem, if that's a problem in Fedora licenses system, you can easily change the music list for a "full free" (without NC) licenced music.

Xfennec, what do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:48 pm 

Yep, fell free to remove any track that does not follow your rules. The only trouble is for The Napoleon Blown Aparts, since this track is hardcoded for the menu, so you'll need to change the MUSIC_MENU define in mania_drive.c.

But we should update the list on the website to clear up things, surely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:57 am 

Thanks!

Do you know under which license (exactly) these 2 fall:
* MeMak Racer 1 (1:28) by Neub (aka Revision 1.1)
* Bienvenue au Mexique (1:26) by Mage

The url's for them on the website both point to:
http://cqfd-corp.org/

And what about this one?
* Superstar Destroyer (2:47) by Zen Ace Ten (website is down ?)

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:24 pm 

The first two tracks were created by our (CQFD) artists, with full rights. To put a real license on it, let's release it under a permissive CC license, like by-sa. Ok for you ?

About "Zen Ace Ten", I've been unable to access to the band website since a few years now. So I can't say more, sadly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:56 pm 

Xfennec wrote:
The first two tracks were created by our (CQFD) artists, with full rights. To put a real license on it, let's release it under a permissive CC license, like by-sa. Ok for you ?

About "Zen Ace Ten", I've been unable to access to the band website since a few years now. So I can't say more, sadly.

by-sa is excellent, which version? (2.0, 2.5 or 3.0)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:10 pm 

2.0 to make things simple.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:23 pm 

Hi guys,

Just wondering if you're looking to add any free music to the game?

I am in and have been in several bands that have recorded professionally in a studio. Not sure if you guys would like to include some of our music with the game, I can provide my bands tracks with any CC license you require. I also have many friends in bands that have professionally recorded songs, I could negotiate with them as well.

In case you're interested, here are some samples from my last 2 bands:
http://www.myspace.com/brokeanddownband
http://www.myspace.com/intheendhasended

Coding is not my forte, so I figure this might be one way for me to pitch in . If not, then thanks all for the great game and keep up the work! :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:29 pm 

Hi,

We won't add new music to ManiaDrive, since we're now working on its successor, ManiaCrash ... and we'll need some new music tracks, so that's a very nice proposal ! :)

I flag this topic and will contact you when we'll start searching musics for MC.