Raydium 3D Game Engine

Official forum for everything about Raydium, ManiaDrive, MeMak, ...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:44 pm 

One week after the first reports of bugs of the 1.01, my idea was to release ASAP the 1.02, but It tooks ... more time than expected :)
Currently, the SVN version of ManiaDrive have the following changes:

- mania2 track generation is now embedded in ManiaDrive, so the game no more need to call mania2 binary while loading a track. It will fix all errors and crashes while loading tracks.
- removed a "live" warning about pitch overflow wich was making the game to slow down on low-end hardware
- camera behavior is now correct when changing view
- added C key to switch view
- no more ingame soundtrack informations when volume is set to 0
- windowed mode is now available in game options
- game no more need write access in "game" directory

There's again a few fixes to apply, but I think it's a bit rude to release a new version, a month later with only bug fixes and small enhancements. So I'm searching a good idea so that first users of ManiaDrive gets something new with this release :) Since this new version must be available soon (this week ?), we must find a good but simple idea :)

Your turn !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:42 pm 

maybe is not so simple but, what about a super-server wich will list the prepared servers.
The server (client side) will have to notify its state to the superserver, and the supervserver will inform of the list to the only-clients(client side) that want to play online

Also, a "collision mode" can be added to the online/lan game. Is quite funny to crash with your friends :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:01 pm 

Your first idea is good ! And we've the bandwidth to host a permanent server, it's just a matter of testing, since the current netcode aims local network, not Internet.

I must also say that I forgot in my list the new textures from remouk ! This is also a great enhancement for "old players" :)

PS: network collision's not fun. Oooh no .. it turns into a battle field in less than 20 seconds :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:40 pm 

A quick idea: making turbo a box like the finish one. When car go in, its accelrated in his direction with a gaz sound (nitro), and maybe fire from the gaz echapement (i dont know if its easy to do, and i dont even know if you say 'gaz echapement' in english...)). Ill look for a sound...

But since the turbo are actually made in one-direction, maybe youve had good reasons.

And thinking about network, what do you think of some network tracks with large roads? or playing a reduced car, on tracks without jumps... could be fun:)

Last edited by cghislai on Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:43 pm 

Xfennec wrote:
PS: network collision's not fun. Oooh no .. it turns into a battle field in less than 20 seconds :)

Yes, and that's really funny!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:28 pm 

Quote:
A quick idea: making turbo a box like the finish one. When car go in, its accelrated in his direction with a gaz sound (nitro), and maybe fire from the gaz echapement (i dont know if its easy to do, and i dont even know if you say 'gaz echapement' in english...)). Ill look for a sound...

very good idea!

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:02 am 

Quick ideas... It is no revolution...

Mirror tracks. Now that sequence is not any more left right left, but right left right. (It does not add much, but hey, it's like two lines of code).

Reverse tracks. Obviously not all the tracks are good for reverse, but some are. Just switch start and end, the order of the check points, and here you are, a couple of new challenges.

Hand brake. I dunno if it is easy or not to implement within the framework, but braking only on the rear wheels is fun.

Car color. I love the clio, but I'd love to have it in black. Or the blue of the Williams edition. (again, it's not a huge change, but it's fun.)

For eyecandy, some tire tracks may be fun (I don't remember if they are already implemented, as I haven't played in a while -some trip far away-).

Another thing to emphasize the turbo effect may be to change the field of view to symbolize a quick acceleration.

Ghost mode. It's already been suggested around, but one more vote here. To see what you made before really helps to get better.

And don't be afraid to make a "bug-fix" only release. Having bugs is ok, having bugs solved is better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:50 am 

about the hand-brake, i think it can't be included, since the driving style has to be mantained. If the game changes its driving style in each version the online scores will have no sense. (you won't take the same time in a curve if you can/cannot use the handbrake)

It's a pain, i like a lot hand-brake driving style :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:01 am 
Do you know this project: http://freesound.iua.upf.edu ?

Maybe you can find good sounds there. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:07 pm 

Can move the UV map for the car color to a new file and introduce a car color option, no? Also can't you use an option file to load the sound files, instead of hardcoding them?

Can you also bind the speedometer also to the rear wheels, so you don't have speed when only the front wheels are moving?

Cheers,

Bruno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:36 am 

Just a quick note:
bluey wrote:
Can you also bind the speedometer also to the rear wheels, so you don't have speed when only the front wheels are moving?

The current behavior is the one used on real cars ;)

edit: this is a "quick" note, not a "kick" one :)

Last edited by Xfennec on Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:46 am 

It is? Ok, it is just my ignorance, so... :P Sorry. :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:27 pm 

La nouvelle version va bientot sortir, car sa va faire 2 mois?

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:31 pm 

Working on it. That's why I'm asking for help here : viewtopic.php?t=489 :)