Raydium 3D Game Engine

Official forum for everything about Raydium, ManiaDrive, MeMak, ...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Thoughts
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:51 pm 

After playing maniadrive for a while, I have some thoughts I'd like to share:

- The music tracks help make the game exciting.
- The rally map is very nice. Good job.
- Having objects with no collision properties would be nice. The grass and checkpoint markers in rally really show a need for this (IMO).
- The turning radius when driving in reverse seems very big. I think real cars do not handle like that.
- Playing with a PS2 style game pad is very difficult with everthing on one stick. I know this is being worked on.
- Handbrake?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:22 pm 

Thanks for your report !
Most of theses points are already on the TODO (including a "control configuration" panel in the menu). One thing about the track "Rally": this is bonus, nothing else. This is why there's a few physics problem ;) The future of ManiaDrive is always "procedural tracks" (but with a new world) and not tracks like Rally.

Thx again ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:40 pm 

Procedural tracks are good but the pieces used to build them could be better. The car's handling would be much better if the ramp pieces were curved, rather than the sharp angle it uses currently. But it sounds like you already know this ("but with a new world").

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:29 pm 

don't woory about new world, I'm working on it. Procedural tracks is the best way to let uers make other tracks. You don't need to know a specific 3d package. Just use the track editor.

About curved block, I'm currently studying this problem. The mainb goal is to add mor faces wihtout slow down the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:09 pm 

In my opinion the car is too hard to control in high speeds, is there any change to reduce steering in higher speeds? Also the car is too "bouncy", like after a fall the car bounces everywhere or in collision between objects. I would also like to see some damage visualizing, for example broken windows.

Otherwise this game is very good and it's one of those few games I like to play, keep up the good work ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:45 am 

Thanks for your message.

We're currently working on new arcade physics with new blocks. The car is way more drivable, does not bounce at all. The old physics (and tracks) will always be available, too.

No damage is planned, but I must admit the idea is fun. I'll add this to the TODO as a possible feature.