Raydium 3D Game Engine

Official forum for everything about Raydium, ManiaDrive, MeMak, ...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:35 am 

Hello,

While the ./configure process, raydium downloads and compiles ODE and PHP (maybe more, I'm not done with php yet). This confuses me greatly. I have these packages installed, why does raydium not link to them instead?

Best regards

Last edited by qubodup on Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:04 am 

Hi.

(I'm unable to give an 'official' answer, someone else can help you more.. but:)

Raydium (I believe) needs a specific ODE version to be 'stable' (I think)

and I know Raydium allows for Rayphp (php scripting in your game) and I think it has to rebuild PHP no matter what, to allow for rayphp functions to work properly.

Again, I could be very wrong on the subject.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:23 pm 

This question is quite common, there's probably some other posts somewhere in the forum, but I can't remember where.

Following powerpup118's answer, it's important for Raydium to have a consistent behavior for physics over the various platforms. It means a specific and "tested" release of ODE, with single precision. Most Linux distributions are providing unsuitable release of ODE (double precision, older/newer release) that can't be used "officially" for Raydium.

For instance, ManiaDrive is build around physics, so every single change in ODE may change the physics of the game, which is unacceptable for a game where players can compare scores online ...

It's the same story for PHP, where the "libphp" itself is not released everywhere (Debian, a few years ago at least, were not providing this package, only "static" release of php-cli, mod-php, ...) and with incompatible release and/or compilation options.

If it's a real trouble for you, it's quite easy to change the Makefile to make it using your own libraries. It seems to be how Fedora deals with Raydium and ManiaDrive for official packets, for instance. But I'll definitely not support something like that ;)