Raydium 3D Game Engine

Official forum for everything about Raydium, ManiaDrive, MeMak, ...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: a few thoughts..
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:31 am 

Hi,

I would like to add water to my project, currently I just need a 'big' flat object, that looks like moving water.

I looked at the shader demos, and they look quiet nice IMHO.
only problem is I am trying to target low-end computers (i.e. ones without shader support...)

I started looking at how to do this, I read that someone said to use multi-texturing? How do I do this?

i was thinking I could use sprites possibly and a series of images... but this seems complicated.. (can sprites be displayed on a 'flat' object in 3D space?
then I was thinking a JPGS movie? but again can this be displayed in 3D space on a flat object?

This is very confusing someone help me! :) Best way to make low-end decent looking water?

small side thought: is there a way to hide the terminal in Windows? (it starts with all raydium apps.. can it be "hidden"?)

thank you soo much!

Post subject: Re: a few thoughts..
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:14 am 

What is the best way to render water without using shaders ? Hard to say ...

Using multitexturing would allow to move two (or more) layers to simulate a water effect (Quake 1 was doing this well). Raydium does provide multitexturing support, but does not easily allow you to dynamically move layers ... It would require a bit of hacking in the engine (but nothing hard) to test this. You may have a look to files like "quiris_zenl.tri" that makes an heavy usage of multitexturing (./odyncomp.sh willou.c --model quiris_zenl.tri for Linux, or you can launch raydium_modler, open the console and /load quiris_zenl.tri)

The other option that sound interesting is the JPGS movie. It sounds a bit overkill to me at first, but it may be a very good idea in facts. It's very easy to map a video to a mesh (flat or not), since you just have to call something like raydium_video_open("water.jpgs","mytexture.tga") to create a "fake" texture before loading you mesh (that use mytexture.tga).

About hiding the windows terminal, I think that something exists, but I can't remember what ... Ouille may help, here ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:09 pm 

Hello,

And the magic flag is ... -mwindows as linker parameter.

It is automaticaly added on release build using windows sdk and codeblocks project/workspace.

Have a nice day.

Ouille.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:00 am 

Hello,

both the JPGS idea and the -mwindows compiler flag work amazingly!

Have a nice day and thank you very much!