Raydium 3D Game Engine

Official forum for everything about Raydium, ManiaDrive, MeMak, ...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Making of a pool game
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:03 pm 

Hello guys

My target is to make a pool game. I searched for easy-to-setup engines that also have physics included and I choosed Raydium.

I managed to setup everything, compiled a few examples and I really liked what I see.
Before I start, I have a few question. The first thing is that I want my game to be 2D. I don't want to complicate myself with 3D because there can be a nice pool game even if it's 2D. The problems that I confront are the physics. So I want to start to learn this whole Raydium thing so I can manage to make my game. Here are my questions :

What I need to know for a good start ?
This is mainly a school project. I know C++ and...that's all...but I am motivated to learn
Where can I learn ?
From the first sight I observerd that the programs have a few lines but with powerful functions. Is everything about I need to know about this functions at Wiki ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:40 pm 

Hi,

Raydium is definitely a 3D engine. There's no easy way to create real 2D things with it. However, it's quite easy to make things *looks* like 2D, so you won't have to create a whole 3D "world". For instance, if you lock your camera above the pool table, there's no need for modeling the bottom of the table. And you can still allow you camera to move a bit, in a sort of 2.5D, in this example.

But your world will be (at least a bit) 3D, as your physics. The good news is that for this type of games, it's almost as easy in 3D than 2D, to my opinion. A pool ball is not exactly "hard" to shape in 3D, for instance ;)

To answer your questions:
- You need to know C (or C++, whatever, the engine is pure C) and ... Raydium itself. The rest will come as you discover the engine (I'm thinking about all the 3D vocabulary: texture, vertex, etc).
- The wiki and, probably more importantly, the demos provided with the engine are the best way to understand how it works. Just modify, tweak and hack them. And then, there's this forum where we try to answer at every question.

Good luck for this project ! (and have fun :) )