Raydium 3D Game Engine

Official forum for everything about Raydium, ManiaDrive, MeMak, ...
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: about terrains
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:32 pm 

We have started with the game that i comment you(Xfennec) before, and we encounter the first doubt.
Currently raydium has no method to load a BIG terrain, right?
I have seen raydium_ode_ground-* but they are focussed for a only mesh. Maybe a progresive load could help with that function but the problem is that our game is "open" like GTA, and a linear progresive load can't be done.
Ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:21 am 

There's two different things, here : physics and rendering. For physics, you may provide to RayODE a very simplified mesh, as most "big games" do. Then you can use your own streaming/ROAM/progressive LOD/whatever to feed 3D hardware for rendering. Be sure that RayODE is able to deal with massive mesh without any problem (thanks to quadtrees, caches, AABB, ...). Rendering is the big part of this problem, since the solution is always very specific to your needs, and some Raydium optimizations (such as display lists) will not be available with "dynamic meshes".

May help you (the idea, at least): http://membres.lycos.fr/frochet/PowerHSR/powerhsr.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:33 pm 

hm, i see the inverse problem. I think that the rendering could be easy, but i have doubts to make the simulations constans and fluids from load to load.
The only way i can imagine is to make the colllssion mesh adds the collission mesh of the neightbour meshes.
So if a graphical mesh A is surrounded by B C D E F G H I, the collision mesh for a wil include A B C D E F G H I. In this way the simulations can be place with a "mesh" of advantage.
How do you see this method?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:51 am 

I'm not sure to fully understantd your method ;)
The only probem I see with physics is "streaming". If it's not possible for you to generate a FULL simplified mesh of you world (with A, B, C ... and every other meshes) then, you're right, it will be a bit more complex. In the other case, be sure that's not a problem to feed RayODE with a huge mesh (the problem is memory, not performance).

But, hey, maybe a quadtree or an octree will resolv all this ? (it's quite simple to write, the only problem right now is that Raydium is not able to "unload" a mesh, you can only replace a mesh by another one).