Raydium 3D Game Engine

Official forum for everything about Raydium, ManiaDrive, MeMak, ...
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:54 pm 

you are wellcome Guitou.
I'm vicente, a collaborator of raydium. Also i'm doing with Xfennec a commercial game for linux using raydium. Yes, i know raydium is gpl, and so, the game will be gpl also but the arts will be privative.. at least during a year or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:13 pm 

Hi all ! Back.
Nice to see that things moves, here :)

A few points :

- Refresh a file if new a version is available on repository : The idea is great, an in facts, its already done :) See --repository-refresh option (file.c)

- Like vicente said, I would like to be able to overview changes before "any" commit. For example, phyce, your work about media directory is great (and thanks for it) but your starts from a wrong assertion : For now, raydium_file_fopen() cannot replace fopen() in every case. Currently, using fopen() instead of raydium_file_fopen() means that you don't want to use R3S, for a "local only" file, for example. The other problem with commit 301 is that the diffs are completely unusable !
See :
http://raydium.org/svn.php?d=/trunk/ray ... le.c&v=301
http://raydium.org/svn.php?d=/trunk/ray ... nd.c&v=301
I'm totaly unable to see your changes :) Before talking more about this feature (wich IMHO is good, again), I must (sadly) revert this commit and let you found a way to deal with your editor indentation style.

- Obviously ok with libfile.php and mania_tracklist.php changes (good point for last one !)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:09 pm 

Quote:
wrong assertion : For now, raydium_file_fopen() cannot replace fopen() in every case. Currently, using fopen() instead of raydium_file_fopen() means that you don't want to use R3S, for a "local only" file, for example.

mmh I'm a little confused here. I don't know if you meant :

-- "I don't want to update/download files from the repository for whatever reason". You can force this behaviour with --repository-disable and it just behaves like fopen() if ther file cannot be found.

-- "I want to test if a file is actually locally there". Then you should use the access() function.

But maybe I didn't underdstand you well on this.

Quote:
The other problem with commit 301 is that the diffs are completely unusable !

My bad. The thing is, the current indentation is quite strange (no shift after function declaration, for example), and my emacs certainly won't understand it. I'll try and put back my modifications (not very long actually). Don't want to troll here, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Coding_Standards set some guidelines to avoid this kind of problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:43 pm 

Let me try to explain the fopen/raydium_file_fopen problem with a simple example. ManiaDrive stores player's solo times in a file named "mania_drive.state". When ManiaDrive opens this file, it must be with fopen() and not raydium_file_fopen() since we don't want this file being downloaded with R3S. It's a "local only file".

I'm not saying that there's nothing to do here to get a clearer situation (like a new letter for the 'mode' : raydium_file_fopen("toto.tri","rwL"), with 'L' wich stands for 'local only', why not), but only wanted to warn you about the actual way to do.

About coding style, there was an interesting thread on the ODE mailing list (CR/LF or LF only, tabs or spaces, how many ? , ...) a few weeks ago and the summary of this loooong troll is that before applying such rules, the main idea is to keep code readable. I think (but may be wrong) that Raydium is almost OK with this last point.

I'm not against applying a strict style to Raydium, but (1) it must be done as a separate commit and (2) we probably need a few *INDENT-OFF* (errrk :) ) tags as, IMHO, GNU style is not always perfect, far from this :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:42 pm 

Quote:
Let me try to explain the fopen/raydium_file_fopen problem with a simple example. ManiaDrive stores player's solo times in a file named "mania_drive.state". When ManiaDrive opens this file, it must be with fopen() and not raydium_file_fopen() since we don't want this file being downloaded with R3S. It's a "local only file".

Then use fopen() ;) Nobody ever said "don't use fopen() at all" but it shouldn't be used to open media files anymore.

Quote:
I'm not saying that there's nothing to do here to get a clearer situation (like a new letter for the 'mode' : raydium_file_fopen("toto.tri","rwL"), with 'L' wich stands for 'local only', why not), but only wanted to warn you about the actual way to do.

Nice idea, should be fairly simple to add in raydium_file_fopen(). This would allows a "Never ever use fopen() in raydium" statement in the docs ;)

Moreover, I think the example you give should work with raydium_file_fopen() because as the file is not on the repository, it will just fail (after a timeout, maybe). So no need to worry here, we just have to pick up a method ;) (I like the "L" mode because it allows a coding guideline)

Quote:
About coding style, [...] the main idea is to keep code readable. I think (but may be wrong) that Raydium is almost OK with this last point.

Of course. My main question when I look at the code is "why indent if, for, ... blocks, but not function bodies ?" On the whole I'd say the indentation, although readable, seems a little slack. That's why I used auto-indent and screwed the file...A friend hinted me about defining a config file for indent (the command line tool) to define a common style. Seems a bit complicated here, but the idea is there : we should define a coding style.

Quote:
I'm not against applying a strict style to Raydium, but (1) it must be done as a separate commit

Of course.

Quote:
and (2) we probably need a few *INDENT-OFF* (errrk :) ) tags as, IMHO, GNU style is not always perfect, far from this :)

Don't know exactly what you meant here (INDENT-OFF ?), but GNU style isn't perfect in my opinion, but it is a standard and many editors will indent your code according to it (emacs and vi for starters, but I guess anjunta or kdevelop can/will do the same). On a related note, you are certain the syntaxic coloration won't get screwed (as it is often currently the case with emacs).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:24 pm 

phyce wrote:
Then use fopen() ;) Nobody ever said "don't use fopen() at all" but it shouldn't be used to open media files anymore.

It seems that I've misinterpreted your first idea (and diff did not help me :) ) Sorry for the noise !

phyce wrote:
we should define a coding style.

100% OK :) When we start ? :)
PS: INDENT-OFF is a tag (/* *INDENT-OFF* */) wich disable indent command until INDENT-ON tag.

phyce wrote:
On a related note, you are certain the syntaxic coloration won't get screwed (as it is often currently the case with emacs).

<useless-troll>So we can say that emacs's not reliable ? ;)</useless-troll>

I must say that my main goal for now is to release ManiaDrive 1.0 ASAP (before the end of the week) so I've no time for theses two points ('L' mode for raydium_mode_fopen() and coding style) until this milestone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:32 am 

about the inminent release
I'd like to prepare a deb package for my favourite distro (guadalinex). Do you think that will be a good idea to include all the media files into?
Btw, tell that the most of linux people won't ear the music(not the sound) cause of the openal version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:46 pm 

Do it like you want :) (maybe can you split all this in two packets ?). Please wait for upcoming tarballs before creating theses packets, if possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:47 am 

i'll wait

Post subject: divers
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:24 am 

voici mon compile.log :
raydium/web.c: Dans la fonction «raydium_web_callback» :
raydium/web.c:245: attention : passing argument 3 of «accept» from incompatible pointer type
Creating libraydium.so.0.0
revision 312
c'est grave ?
quand je fais un make clean il faut que je reponde y à chaque fichier
y a pas plus rapide ?
./configure --ode-cvs fonctionne pas
pourtant j'ai un client cvs
voila
merci

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:07 am 

Ce message n'a pas sa place dans ce thread. Déplacé : viewtopic.php?p=2856

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:20 am 

Hi,

While writing a makefile, I took a look at raydium/Makefile. I think it could be shorten in "All files" part to something like:

Code:
################################################################################
# All files
################################################################################

raydium/compile/myglut.o: raydium/myglut/myglut.c headers
        @mkdir -p $(COMPILE_DIR)
        @echo "Creating: $@"
        $(CC) $(COMPILE_OPTIONS) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ -c $< $(INCLUDE_PATH) 2>> $(LOG_FILE)

raydium/compile/%.o: raydium/%.c headers
        @mkdir -p $(COMPILE_DIR)
        @echo "Creating: $@"
        $(CC) $(COMPILE_OPTIONS) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ -c $< $(INCLUDE_PATH) 2>> $(LOG_FILE)

It seems myglut.o is the only file which needs explicit dependency.
Regarding "headers", %.h may be wiser.

I did not try this modification since flex is giving me some pb to compile.

--
guitou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:04 pm 

The makefile was wrote by mildred and she said many times that there was many possible enhancements (but no time for applying it).

You've the same problem than vicente for flex ? ( viewtopic.php?t=423 )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:34 pm 

Yeah, same problem.
We have to wait for php to correct this, if I understand correctly ?

--
guitou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:53 pm 

Yep, or install flex-old (or something like this).