Raydium 3D Game Engine

Official forum for everything about Raydium, ManiaDrive, MeMak, ...
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Animation format file
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:46 pm 

I already started with the animation work, but i need a list of desired features to implement the new animation format file.
Currently i'm working over Milkshape3D format file, but i have seen a lot of optimizations that could be directly apply to our own animation format file. Should this be a page in the wiki?

Here the list of features, that will be updated as needed:

Usability features:
    The format file will have 2 version: ASCII and Binary. ASCII will be used during development and could be changed manually, binary will be used for releases, cause its huge speed improvement loading.
    In short this format file will allow to load ms3d animated files but more importer/exporters are needed.
Technical Features:
    The file will have just 1 model
    Each model can have more than 1 object
    Each object will have a list of vertices, a list of triangles and a list of joints(bones)
    Each vertex will have info about its position, color, normal, and we can add more data as needed. Improvements in this structure will make newer following version incompatible betwen them.
    Each triangle will have a list of 3 vertices, its applied material, a face normal.
    Each bone will have a list of affected vertices, an initial position, and initial rotation, and a list of position and rotation keyframes.
    Each keyframe will have position, rotation, and time.

Till now i see problems with the materials. Multitexturing is not allowed at all. Ideas to improve it?
I see one improvement: each keyframe should have a flag for the "interpolation type". Since only important keyframes of the animation will be keyframed, the rest will be interpolated. So i suposse that is a must to allow different types of interpollation (linear, smooth, spherical, etc).
Phorem, what do you need to implement your game? Xfennec how do you see all this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:19 pm 

Ok, this subject is large, but interesting. IMHO, we need :
- a real skeletal animation support, and not a morph system like the current MD2 code
- a system with vertex weight support
- our own file format, but based on the current TRI format (build another file format now, and only for animations is the wrong path !). It will automatically allows multitexturing, env.maps, shaders, and so on ...
- something compatible with Blender
- a RayODE compatible system (skeletals must be able to control RayODE elements, for example, fall back to a regular ragdoll if needed, ...)
- a plugin for BVH motion capture files ! (thru Blender, why not)
- inverse kinematic ?

This subject is described by many developpers (free, commercial, games, engines) as a real nightmare, so being helped by libs like Cal3D shouldn't be excluded, I think.

All this is debatable :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:11 pm 

Xfennec wrote:
- a real skeletal animation support, and not a morph system like the current MD2 code

Which is the difference?
Xfennec wrote:
- a system with vertex weight support

Ok
Xfennec wrote:
- our own file format, but based on the current TRI format (build another file format now, and only for animations is the wrong path !). It will automatically allows multitexturing, env.maps, shaders, and so on ...

Ok, but i'm afraid that the current tri format file is not compatible with vertices animation... If each line is 1 triangle (i'm not sure about this) then we can not perform vertex movement, vertex weighting, and so.
Xfennec wrote:
- something compatible with Blender
Ok, thenk i should start with a simple blender animation exporter.
Xfennec wrote:
- a RayODE compatible system (skeletals must be able to control RayODE elements, for example, fall back to a regular ragdoll if needed, ...)

Hmmm, here i will need a lot of help, i'm not so comfortable with ODE as you ;)
Xfennec wrote:
- a plugin for BVH motion capture files ! (thru Blender, why not)

BVH... i have to learn about it. I never heard about it.
Xfennec wrote:
- inverse kinematic ?
Hard... but it's a pretty feature :)
Xfennec wrote:
This subject is described by many developpers (free, commercial, games, engines) as a real nightmare, so being helped by libs like Cal3D shouldn't be excluded, I think.
Yep. But a few years ago i succes making an directx ms3d importer. That was a real pain, but now i have some experience, and the real hard part is the matrices management (inverses, transposed and so kind of...). Anyway using Cal3d would quit us a loooot of work...Even we could embed cal3d in the code of Raydium, so it won't be a dependency. However, cause cal3d is c++ and is object oriented, i preffer that raydium would not based in cal3d.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:10 pm 

ok, i have seen that tri format file has 1 vertex per line and not 1 triangle per line ;P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:33 pm 

Some explanations about morph and skeletal animations :

Morph animations (some use the term "key frame"), as used in MDL, MD2 and MD3 file formats, for example, stores reference frames (the basic idea is to save many and make a linear interpolation between differents frames :

Two frames (say T and T+1) :
http://ftp.cqfd-corp.org/raycap-anim1.jpg

and the interpolated T+0.5 model :
http://ftp.cqfd-corp.org/raycap-anim2.jpg

This is quiet easy to read and to deal with, but it use a lot of memory (disk and RAM).

Skeletal animation is based on bones (MD5, bvh, milkshape), and then the bones are attached to vertices (ideally with a "weight") :

A bone, readed with a BVH player ("mocap") :
http://ftp.cqfd-corp.org/raycap-anim3.jpg

Setting a weight for vertice in Blender :
http://mediawiki.blender.org/uploads/6/ ... h-tail.png

Hopes it makes things clear on this subject ;) (It was not specially for you vicente, I thought you probably know most of all this)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:11 pm 

Ok, all set to begin my tests... i'll keep you all informed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:48 pm 

One more thing, which is the latest version of the tri exporter? triEXP-B2-36.py?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:37 pm 

Yep. But your message is probably related to the post in the "Graphism" forum, so we'll try to update ASAP the exporter.

If you start working on this, please remember that this script have a young brother, triEXP-MD2-36.py (the one responsible of MD2 exportation) which should be then updated too. Perhaps it's possible to factorize things and merge these scripts, why not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:56 am 

I'm here again (well, at least for a couple of days).
I have decided to base this work in BVH format cause this summer it will be available the BVH exporter according a note about Google Summer of code.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Blend ... 2007_Ideas
In fact the exporter will be:
Quote:
BVH importer/exporter improvements (Python/C)

* Note, a BVH importer is alredy included with Blender, an exporter was also written once but is not included anymore because it only worked with a hierarchy of animated Empty's rather then an Armature
* Write a BVH exporter that works with armatures.
* Write an IPO curve fitting function to make imported BVH animations files easier to edit.
* Write a tool to clean up jitter in an IPO curve (filter to improve a BVH from a motion capture device).
* Test how well Blender is able to re-target an animation (apply the animation from 1 BVH to an existing armature) - Improve blenders animation tools for this process since BVH's are ofter used for this.

Until then, I'll begin gathering a few BVH files to do an BVH importer in raydium. Then i will have to mix the Raydium exporter with the Blender BVH exporter. And finally one more mix will be needed: BVH importer + raydium importer. Easy to say...

For reference: http://www.centralsource.com/blender/bvh/what.htm

And this could be our goal in a future:
http://www.naturalmotion.com/files/dyna ... studio.avi
http://www.naturalmotion.com/files/Sig_ ... _Large.avi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:34 pm 

Hi vicente !
I'm also sure that BVH support for Raydium is a nice idea, whatever is a native support or a BVH-to-internal-format script. I could look very great !

Btw, impressive videos !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:35 pm 

Just a simple update.
I have found a good base code to make the import. I have translated it to english and also i have made a few modifications to allow it work in Raydium (but i have respected the copyright and the license is gpl).
Currently the Bvh file is loaded in memory and even the structure can be write into a debuging file (maybe this could be usefull to use with raydium_ode_capture_3d).
The next step is to play the animation and then show it on the screen.
As soon as it becomes visible i'll post an screenshot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:30 am 

And here is the first screenshot of a moving bvh structure in raydium :D
But still there is a lot of work to do...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:19 am 

Amazing ! Keep going, please ! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:13 pm 

8)
And one more update.
http://www.masguadalinex.net/files/bvhanimcrop.avi
Position corrected, debug mode (showing origin of bones and a guide axis por each one), removed scenario.

I have try a few bvh files from different sources and (except one) all they work fine.. or i think so.
Still left optimizations (a lot), raydium'ify the code, translate a few lines... and then mix it with the object system... or before i could study about ragdolling ... I'm not sure.

Sadly i have to stop until the friday (job). :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:44 pm 

Nice, really nice, vicente !
What is "position correction" ?