Raydium 3D Game Engine

Official forum for everything about Raydium, ManiaDrive, MeMak, ...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Raydium python bindings
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:26 pm 

I see that raydium has python bindings is there any api info or any info at with they exception to test.py?

Thanks Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:31 pm 

Well, Python bindings are not really official ... There's a generator, tested time to time (gen_bindings.php), supposed to generate the Python module. The API is almost the same as in C.

I've just tested and updated Python bindings (it was broken, be sure to use rev 503). Ask here if you need more information about how to create and use all this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:46 am 

Hmm ok well i am no python programmer my native lang is ruby.
Question i see that there are also php bindings that seam's very strange to me because php performance is poor even compared to ruby and ruby is poor compared to python.

Does php even make a good scripting lang for 3d games.
and if so is there any api docs on php or are they also almost exactly like the c api.
I know that sounds like a stupid question but i was actual shocked to see php bindings for a 3d game engine.

I wish i was a good c program because 1 wouldn't be asking all these questions about scripting languages and 2 i would just make bindings for ruby. But sadly thats not the case.

Thanks steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:18 am 

Well, a few thing about PHP :

- Performance are quiet good ! We talk here about an embedded language : a lot of native C function calls, a few if/else/for and that's all. No 3D calculation is done with PHP ;)

- We do not provide PHP bindings, we provide a native PHP interpreter in the engine, and that makes a real difference ! PHP is used for RayPHP, a set of functions in Raydium that allows things like automatic downloading of data. We also use it for SOAP WebServices in ManiaDrive (all on-line score management), and so on. Before anything, it's the huge versatility of PHP that makes me add it into the engine.

- A last good thing with PHP is that it's now a very common language: that exactly what we're trying to do with Raydium: easy.

- The available functions with RayPHP can be found in reg_api.c file. It's only a very small set of Raydium, as needed by RayPHP.

You may want to have a look to how current Python bindings are created with SWIG, it can probably help you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:32 pm 

Ok thanks