Raydium 3D Game Engine

Official forum for everything about Raydium, ManiaDrive, MeMak, ...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Spanish reference
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:19 am 

As long as i know, the API reference page is generated automatically from the source files.
Which is this system? Could it support multilanguage ?
Now that i goto start a Raydium course for spanish people, spanish reference could be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:47 pm 

API Reference page is generated with a PHP script (raydium/headers/raydoc.php), parsing the headers file. I launch the script manually time to time, and it generates some "wiki code" that I paste to the suitable wiki page.

It's probably quiet easy to make all this automatic, each night for instance, but the problem here for i18n is more to maintain all languages ... I change things in the "headers" directory quiet often, so people in charge of other languages must then update their translation each time. It can be quiet complex. On the beginning, there's another trouble: the doc is already huge ! (~ 200 Kb ?), it will require a lot of work.

We must also (and first) think about how we can store more than one language in the "headers" dir without making file almost unreadable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:27 pm 

I have 2 ideas:
1-
We can let the sources with the current format and, in the script, add a few gettext functions to read from po files. The bad thing is that the translator will have to manage po files instead of source files.

2-
We could copy the header folder into a locale folder indicating the language, something like: raydium/locale/header-es/
This should be done by an script. The script should also to create a md5sum.list in each folder with a list of md5sum of each file in the original. if a file changes (in the headers) the md5sum will change and the script could make a changes.txt indicating which files have changed... Well, it's a bit useless...

Anyway i'll continue thinking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:14 pm 

I was thinking about something very close to your second option, with a MD5 for each function. It's probably the easiest solution for translators (we must probably provide a few tools to show translators what is not synced, for example), but it requires for us to code a few things :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:46 pm 

So the script should read a certain function (or the EOF). Then that buffer has to be md5sum'ed. That sum will be added to a file with its function name.
This will generate a file with pairs function header + md5sum for each function in the game.
Ok, in this point we have a way to know if a function (his comments) have changed.

In a locale subfolder we can have so much folders as languages supported.

Each folder (for example es or es_ES) will have a copy of the header files of raydium, and an especial file with : the function names, the previous md5sum and a new md5sum related to the translated text.
Comparing those values we can know:
1- if the current raydium header of a function is the same that the one in wich we based our translation
2- if our translation has been changed without following he right process (i mean without use the script we will provide).
3-if there are missing functions or added functions (non exixsting)

So the script should sumarize this info for the translator.
The translator could translate directly over the (locale) header of the file and they will have the same format than a regular header in raydium, just in its language.
Finally, after a direct translation, he will run an script and the script should do all the work and return a gracefull "All is ok".

Something in this way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 am 

Quiet like this, yes. I think that in the locale directories, we only have to keep track of the original MD5 used for translation. No need to MD5 the translated text, am I wrong ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:56 pm 

hmmm, ok, i think it's possible without the translation md5sum.