Raydium 3D Game Engine

Official forum for everything about Raydium, ManiaDrive, MeMak, ...
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:37 pm 

Surely all we think that Raydium needs more help. The project needs more coders, designers, etc.

How can we get this help?

I think the best way is creating a delicious goal to reach: making a killerapp game.

With killerapp game i mean:
    MMORPG Should not need explanation.
    Persistent. If you blow out a house, tomorrow the house will still be in ruins.
    Handling: The characters should be able to take/push/launch/... objects like in Half life 2, Crysis, Penumbra.
    Dynamic plot. Difficult point. Initially just dynamic missions should be enough.
    Destructible objects/scenery. Like in crysis, Star Wars:The force unleashed(http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/823/823668/vid_1911923.html)
    Vehicles From cars, to planes. Skates, bikes and whatever you can ride on.
    Sensible AI's. AI's must react according the dynamic light, the 3D sound, their memories, their jobs, their mental state and their intelligence.
    Living Nature. A seed planted should turns into a big tree with time (difficult taks)
    Editors. Editors of characters, objects, vehicles, terrains, buildings...

Comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:50 pm 

To me, creating a MMO looks like one of the most difficult thing you can imagine. There's almost no finished (or even beta) free (GPL or so, I mean) projects on this subject for example. It would require a huge and long work for an entire team.

Raydium needs more hands, for sure. But IMHO, the best we can do is release more polished and finished "simple" games. It's the Raydium way to do it: simple. ManiaDrive was a real proof of this for me: this game was downloaded 230 000 times so far, appears quiet often in top ten linux games and so on ! And we're talking about something with less than 3 000 lines of code.

In short, for me: simple concept + simple but complete gameplay = super combo ! :)

But I wouldn't be upset if a MMORPG project was built with Raydium ! :)

PS: IIRC, you own a PS3. A game is available since a few weeks on the Playstation Store called "Pixel Junk Racer" (or someting like that). I would like to have created this game :) It's exactly what I'm talking about: the concept is uber-basic, but 100% fun with a simple gameplay and a lot of different modes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:36 pm 

I played the demo of that game and yes, it's quite funny, surely i'll buy it soon(it's cheap).

About the "killerapp game" i still think it could be a good way to get volunteers. Even if the game is never finished Raydium will be highly improved in features and coding/design time. Anyway, according the responses i¡ll see in this post in one week or two, i'll react. Till now, i have to wait.

Btw i'm talking with a blender modeler (blender.org has shown its works) and he is collaborating with a new tank for Raydium. As the supposed spanish collaborators didn't appeared, at least we'll have a good modeler :)
So we can count one more collaborator (in fact he has send me a first version of its tank so it's collaboration is effective).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:37 pm 

Nice ! I forgot this point in my last post in this thread, but it's absolutely true we need, more than anything else, modelers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:22 am 

What about an "upload your free model" section in the web linked to a model gallery?
Too much work i guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:37 pm 

Quiet a big thing, you're right. The wiki+ftp could do the trick in the first times. I can even create a quick-n-durty uploading form if FTP uploading is not enough simple (I could understand that).