Raydium 3D Game Engine

Official forum for everything about Raydium, ManiaDrive, MeMak, ...
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Questions and advice
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:47 am 

Hello,

I have several questions for the developers and then would like to get advice.

Why C has been chosen?
How many persons worked on raydium?
Do you make it being students or workers? Do you study(ied) it at school or not?
Where is made type casting to link graphics and physics?
How are stored animations and physics shapes?

I know C/C++ programming, Linux sys programming, python, web programming and have the opengl 2.0 book not entirely read.
I would like to do the same as the raydium project with a full linux support and only Free Software and Free file formats use (PNG, MNG, OGG libraries, maybe switchable physics engines support, Bullet and ODE - if not, Bullet would be the primary choice). I don't forget shaders with GLSL and SWIG for scripting facilities. All things done must be under the GPL license. So where should I go? I think starting reading the gl book entirely to make me able to do a renderer implementation.
What are your advice?
Would you be interested in this project?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:22 am 

Cause Xfennec ( the boss, or something like that) is busy. I'll try to ask a few of your questions form the viewpoint of a user-and-low-profile-developer.

Why C has been chosen?
ANSI C exactly. ANSI C is the language of real programmers. ;D Really, I suppose cause it is the language more closer to machine code and, even if all the companies say another thing, is the fastest (except assembler, of course). By other hand the idea was making a multiplatform engine, so ANSI C was probably the best option.

How many persons worked on raydium?
No idea really. Currently... well we can say around 3 or 4 persistent coders. 1 or 2 persistent designers and no more. Of course we have puntual aids of interested people.

Do you make it being students or workers? Do you study(ied) it at school or not?
I guess the majority are workers (i'am).

??I don't understand

How are stored animations and physics shapes?
The released (and public svn) version of raydium just store MD2 animations (not a great option, we know). You can find all the functions about this in trunk/raydium/object.c . The functions are raydium_object_anim and some raydium_object.
The 3D meshes are currently stored as openGL display list (we know, slow).
Soon, I hope, I'll release a testing version of a new character system (directly exported from blender, skeletal support, and so). But not yet ready.

I know C/C++ programming, Linux sys programming, python, web programming and have the opengl 2.0 book not entirely read.
I would like to do the same as the raydium project with a full linux support and only Free Software and Free file formats use (PNG, MNG, OGG libraries, maybe switchable physics engines support, Bullet and ODE - if not, Bullet would be the primary choice). I don't forget shaders with GLSL and SWIG for scripting facilities. All things done must be under the GPL license. So where should I go? I think starting reading the gl book entirely to make me able to do a renderer implementation.
What are your advice?
Would you be interested in this project?

Ehmmm..... you mean you want to do practically a clone of Raydium? And why not you collaborate with Raydium? This project will thank any help. Even if your desired features would not be "approved" as raydium core we have a contrib folder for plugins and that kind of.
Think about this: This project was born around 10 years ago... Doing a 3D game engine is a LOT OF WORK, really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:43 am 

??I don't understand

Most graphics and physics engines have their own Quaternion classes. So, linking them ask a type conversion of x,y,z and w values, doesn't it?

Ehmmm..... you mean you want to do practically a clone of Raydium? And why not you collaborate with Raydium? This project will thank any help. Even if your desired features would not be "approved" as raydium core we have a contrib folder for plugins and that kind of.

There are several reasons.
Firstly, I saw libjpeg has been used. Even if the library is a Free implementation, the file format itself is proprietary under patents and rights.
Secondly, this is a good learning way.
Thirdly, ODE seems the only physics engine I could use with Raydium.
Fourthly, GNU/Linux is my priority.
Fifth, Raydium does not seem renderer independent. I do not want dx but the time could come to switch from opengl 2 to opengl 3.
Sixth, C++ could be speed enough for a game, couldn't it?
Seventh, I have seen nothing about noise. There is an interesting library doing it quicker than libnoise called noise++. It is done to be compiled inside your engine.
Eighthly, I ever visited the Raydium website months ago and it looked dead. And I rejected it to find something else. But I know it does not now.

What pushed Raydium to this graphics quality:

http://freeway.raydium.org/captures/112.jpg
and
http://freeway.raydium.org/captures/train_php3.jpg

while Raydium can also do this low-polygonal things:
http://freeway.raydium.org/captures/raycap2006-08-01-234548-00.jpg