Raydium 3D Game Engine

Official forum for everything about Raydium, ManiaDrive, MeMak, ...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bullet Physics
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:32 pm 

I was to open a thread to talk against ODE... however that's a bit useless, so I prefer to open a new thread giving an alternative.
The most interesting, from my side, is Bullet Physics Library http://www.bulletphysics.com/mediawiki-1.5.8/index.php?title=Main_Page .
There is only one "issue": missing "Continuous collision detection in the physics loop " but if really needed can be used the equivalent of ode directly from bullet (is prepared to use it).
The list of features is really impressive(yes, cylinders are full supported) and bullet is being used by all kind of applications, even commercial games for next-gen videogame consoles.
And it's Zlib licensed (so, free software).

Your opinions, please.

Post subject: Re: Bullet Physics
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:50 pm 

Hello,

Bullet versus ode is an old topic on ode mailing list.

I thougt that bullet was slower (perhaps my memory fail).

Collision detection of ode (opcode) seem's to be a very efficient code (with perhaps some trouble with 64bit hardware).

It will be a very hard job, since event if xfennec try to separate ode from raydium (rayode), there is lot's of direct access to ode in the raydium code.

An other project PAL (physic abstraction library) try to unify physical engine access. It's perhaps the better way to be physical engine independant.

Have a nice day
Ouille.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:23 pm 

Yep, Raydium is definitely and deeply "linked" to ODE. It will be very hard to cleanly switch to another engine, for sure. But the subject of integrating Bullet to ODE comes quiet often on the mailing list. Erwin Coumans himself seems very excited about this. So my option would be to wait ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:07 pm 

As long as I know the idea would be adding (only) good parts of ODE to Bullet (filling its missing/bad parts). So the API will be the bullet API ( not ODE one).
Anyway the PAL generic solution of Ouille, sounds good to me as an start point. And opens Raydium to any physic library.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:13 pm 

vicente : There's perhaps a project about integrating ODE into Bullet, but I'm talking of the opposite. See this post, for instance.