Raydium 3D Game Engine

Official forum for everything about Raydium, ManiaDrive, MeMak, ...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:20 pm 

powerpup118 wrote:
Please include newbie instructions? I'm running windows XP, I have no idea what to do with the .dmg file?
Instructions are included in the disk image. You can for example use 7-Zip to extract the files from the disk image under Windows.

Xfennec wrote:
Pictures used for a short post on my blog about all this ...
Alright, I see. I've tried to translate the text into german using Google translation tools. As far as I can say from this more or less shit translation, it's a very nice entry. The comments seem to be very harsh on this, but no one can stop us porting Raydium to everything you can think of, it's so much fun! :D

Xfennec wrote:
What do I need to create applications on the iPhone?
Ok, I'll try to give an answer to this question. :)

As an ADC member I can say that the official Apple iPhone SDK seems to be only available for Mac OS X. But I've seen some sites on the web that describe other methods to develop applications for the iPhone OS platform. So, you should also be able to use other cross-compilation build environment, but I cannot confirm this, since I haven't tried another way aside the official supported one. If you search for a solution, for example for an iPhone SDK Windows, you will find some interesting stuff. Instructions on how to set up environments using e. g. Cygwin or MSYS/MinGW, manipulating the Apple iPhone SDK to get it working nearly everywhere. It seems, the best way on e. g. GNU/Linux or Windows is to run a modified version of Mac OS X in VMware, VirtualBox or PearPC. Then you can use the official development way, where you can also use the iPhone simulator software, so you don't even have to own an iPhone. In fact there are also tools for the iPhone to develop applications on the iPhone for itself.

This is surely not what you want to hear about the Raydium SDK for the iPhone OS, but I cannot support other development environments since I don't know them and I think using other methods apart the official Apple way is not legally.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:21 pm 

Hello,
I was able to undo the .dmg file with 7-zip like you suggested.
I was also able to transfer Test.app to my iPhone.
How am I able to compile any other Raydium tests in the SDK (they need to be compiled into .app folders for me to add them onto my iPhone?)
And can this compiling be done on Windows or Ubuntu Linux?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:58 am 

powerpup118 wrote:
How am I able to compile any other Raydium tests in the SDK?
Please completely read my previous post on this thread. The last part of the post gives hints to what you probably want to do. Please also read the instructions in the README.txt file, which is included within the Raydium SDK for the iPhone OS.

powerpup118 wrote:
Need to be compiled into .app folders for me to add them onto my iPhone?
Yes, I suggest to watch the getting started videos and read the getting started documents in the iPhone Dev Center to understand the general structure of the applications. The iCompile-iphoneos script, which is included within the Raydium SDK for the iPhone OS, will help you to build-up the required structure and transfer it to the device.

powerpup118 wrote:
Can this compiling be done on Windows or Ubuntu Linux?
As written before, if you don't go the official Apple supported way, you have to set-up a custom cross-compilation build environment yourself. Following the researches on the web, it should be possible, but I'll only support the official way using the Apple tools under Mac OS X. For me it seems, the best way on e. g. GNU/Linux or Windows is to emulate a modified version of Mac OS X, which is not legally I think, so you can use the official development way and the Raydium SDK for the iPhone OS should run out of the box.

I've uploaded a ready to use application test package: Raydium-R833-iPhoneOS-Test.tar.gz (2.3 MB)
This includes the test-iphoneos.c sample. Please manually extract the files from the package to the /Applications folder on your device and restart your Springboard. Please note that on the first start the necessary resource files will be downloaded from the Raydium repository.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:03 pm 

Well, thanks for your detailed answer st. It seems I'll have to look seriously at MacOS X :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:18 am 

I've received several questions via e-mail, AIM and on the IRC channel about the ManiaDrive status on the iPhone OS.

Well, the state of ManiaDrive on the iPhone OS is runnable, but not really playable.
Surely it is full functional, you can even drive the tracks, but it's not that funny, because of the low frame rates.

I also could make a video showing ManiaDrive on the iPhone OS, but it's not a good idea for the current state.
ManiaDrive runs very slow on my iPhone 2G, about 3..5 fps. I've already created a low texture package and tried to create a low poly package, but I don't succeeded and finished with it.
Perhaps ManiaDrive will run a bit better on newer hardware like the iPhone 3G S, but I don't have one (yet).

If you want me to help creating such low poly package, so ManiaDrive will run with 5000..6000 vertices (which is the maximum on my 2G), I surely will capture a video of ManiaDrive and upload it with a nice background music.

Current state of the low resource data package, which contains the full repository with modified low resolution textures and some other optimized files for size and speed, can be found here: data-iphoneos.tbz (73MB)