Raydium 3D Game Engine

Official forum for everything about Raydium, ManiaDrive, MeMak, ...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pseudo HDR trouble.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:59 pm 

Hi,

I'm using the engine for quiet some time now, but I never saw the HDR effect in real, just on some screenshots.
That is probably, because I didn't manage to get it enabled correctly.

I reread the related documentation sections and tried several ways to get it working:
  • --hdr on CLI option.
  • raydium_hdr_enable() via source code.
  • raydium_hdr_enable() via console.

First picture is from the API reference that shows the effect I want to see. On the second screenshot you can see what it looks like on my system, which has a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512 MB if this matters, using all methods from above.
Image Image

I've found some posts on the forum with the information that HDR is in an experimental state, perhaps it's disabled on build time or something, but quickly looking at the code I didn't found a solution. Likely I'm doing something stupid or have oversight some important detail.

Any suggestion?

Best regards,
st

Last edited by st on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Pseudo HDR trouble.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:28 pm 

Experimental, but supposed to work.

Launch test6, watch the ground, toggle the console, call raydium_hdr_enable(), look the sky again: congratulations, your eyes are now ruined :)

If it doesn't works, it may means:
- hardware compatibility issue (this feature was not tested that much, but it work almost OK on all low/middle end ATI/NVidia GPU and your 8800GS is way above this)
- trouble with the port ? with drivers ? ...

If the above test does not works, you may try to debug hdr.c. There's very few vars to follow, it should be "pretty" easy. I'll have a look with you in this case.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:15 am 

Maybe are Glut function involved? And so, Another unsupported glut function in mac?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:24 pm 

Today I've followed your test instructions on different systems. They all have installed the newest video card driver versions from the chip manufacturers. On a notebook running Windows Vista 32-bit which has an older ATI Mobility Radeon X600 with 128 MB I successfully saw the effect the first time at all. It looks really impressive! :D
Sadly no success on different Apple systems here, including the iPhone, so I guess it's related on the ports and I'd exclude the hardware.

vicente wrote:
Maybe are Glut function involved? And so, Another unsupported glut function in mac?
Which was the first unsupported GLUT function? :shock:
As I have already tried to explain the last time: No Apple related Raydium executable file is compiled or linked with GLUT! You can look at the build scripts yourself if you don't trust me. :roll:
Probably you mean the related MyGLUT functions. Of course there could be a problem with them, apparently something is broken and I'll try to find a solution why HDR is not working here at all.

I'll begin the bug hunting session looking at hdr.c.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:00 pm 

A target specific issue ... this is quite tricky : the effect is using basic OpenGL features, like stencil buffer and glReadPixels(), so there a not so many places where the bug can hide ... Perhaps something wrong during context creation, where stencil buffer is requested ? (at least with win32 and X11)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:01 pm 

Thanks for your help, of course it was an issue with the context creation.

Mac OS X: Fixed with Raydium revision R893.

iPhone OS: Stencil buffer is available via the OpenGL ES extension #33 called GL_OES_stencil8.
From the iPhone reference library:
I'll leave this as is for now, so when someone needs this extension it can be activated manually.

BTW: The --hdr on/off CLI option seems to change nothing. Tested on Mac OS X and Windows Vista 32-bit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:19 pm 

Nice !

I'm not especially confused by the fact that "--hdr" does not work, since there no such option ;)
Where have you found this ? It seems that there's a doc/wiki that needs to be fixed, somewhere ...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:53 pm 

Oops! You're right! I've mixed up the CLI options with the *.conf configuration ones. Setting hdr="on" or hdr="enable" in the config works great.
I apologize for the inconvenience. :mrgreen: