Raydium 3D Game Engine

Official forum for everything about Raydium, ManiaDrive, MeMak, ...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: i'd like to help
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:18 pm 

Hi:

i have test Raydium and i'd like to help with the development.
But i'm not french and i only can read some words in french.
As i have read (or tried to read) it appears that the character animation system is still at the beginning. I'd like help with a parametric biped system (the idea is from the new engine of lugaru 2, phoenix), it looks like this:
http://wolfire.com/PhoenixAnim.gif
So, the foots and the legs moves automatically according the gravity center and the applied forces. This system, mixed with a usual character animation and a ragdolling system could give quite impresive results (i hope).
Also i'm leading a software company and the idea is to use Raydium to make a few games.
One of them, i suppose, could be done already. It's a clone of Burnout. Of course the changes done in the code for our games will be returned to the raydium communuty.

Btw, do you a have a irc room in freenode?

One more thing. I'm doing the tutorials but the cocoronix.tri, clio.tri etc are not in any packages, and the repository can not be used like a regular ftp. How can i get those models and texures?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:52 pm 

Hi !
This "walking system" is quite impressive, I could be nice to get such things into Raydium. Have you any other information about how this result is achieved ? How do you give input ?

Using Raydium for a commercial game is absolutely not a problem (huge advertising), but since the engine is under GPL, you must also release (or sell) you game under this license :) I must think about a double license (GPL and/or BSD), so that anybody can use Raydium, commercial or not, free or not, ...

About IRC, there's a chan on eu.undernet.org or us.undernet.org ( #cqfd ) but I think the best way is to use this forum ... but try ;)

Each Raydium application is a "R3S" client, allowing automatic download for data repositories when needed... this is not working in your case ? If you want, I can apply a small modification to R3S to allow manual downloads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:08 pm 

about the "walking system" i only saw the gif and the author's explanation. But it's more impresive than difficult.
The idea is something like this:
1-the biped must have a relax pose, this is with the legs almos rect and the foots in 90 degrees. Like when you are stand up.
2-the biped must have maximun rotation angles in his legs and foots
3-the "input" of the movement is a certain force(vectorial force) applied to the gravity center or the pelvis (could change in certain models).
4-the foots define an area, we could name it as AREA. If the gravity center (its projection) "falls" over this AREA, the body is stable. If don't, the body is not stable.
5-when the biped is not stable, the leg closer to the force vector will try move to a final position that compensate the inestability.
6-each leg has a tension value. So if a leg is manteining the whole weight, the other leg has a low tension value. Of course a leg with a hight tension value can't move with easy.
7- The final point of the movement of the leg has to be pre-calculated. In this way the leg and the foot will have a correct and smooth movement. Also this method give us the possibility of include "errors" that could happend if the character is nervous (the final point of the movement could have a pseudo-random Delta pan, directly proportional to the nervousness)
8-Of course the body must have an skeleton, this method won't works on pure meshes without skeleton.
I mean the main idea is clear, isn't it? And yes, it has a lot of work to do.

About the commercial game, yes, i know the source code has to be gpl, but the arts won't be free. Saga of ryzom has been released the same way.

The latest version is that i can find in the svn, correct?
And, Who is the leader over here? How are organizated the tasks?
How can i upload files to the svn?

Btw, the source code of mania_driver that i found on the web has two typos.
(mania_drive.c, lines 792 & 795)
Code:
if( (raydium_key_last==1113 || raydium_joy_clic==6) && gear<5)
 gear++;

if( (raydium_key_last==1119 || raydium_joy_clic==5) && gear>0)

should be (or at least in that way it compiles)
Code:
if( (raydium_key_last==1113 || raydium_joy_click==6) && gear<5)
 gear++;

if( (raydium_key_last==1119 || raydium_joy_click==5) && gear>0)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:36 pm 

It's all ok for explanations. Since I've tried to play with ragdolls in way to keep them "standing" (ex : http://raydium.cqfd-corp.org/captures/rayScoRag1.avi ), I can imagine how difficult will be the task to make them walking :)

You're right, Raydium is available in two flavor : stable tested releases (downloads on website) and developpement "branch" thru SVN. There's almost no organization on the project right now, since I'm the only coder (sadly). This forum (and this topic) is a good place to talk about developpement works, and I will create any needed SVN login (just ask here for it). If you have any other idea for a better organization, I'm ready to read it ;)

About ManiaDrive, it's more than a typo, it's a very old version of this game. As said somewhere in another thread of this forum, no "official" version of ManiaDrive was ever released (only """"demos"""") but I plan to do it in a very near future (more to come soon about this), adding this game to SVN trunk.

PS: sorry for my bad english ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:24 pm 

sure my english is worse than yours :P

Well, then could you make a SVN account for me?
I suppose the best is that the collaborators should ask your permission to make certains changes or adds. In that way duplicated efforts will be avoided.

I have seen that in the svn there is no skeleton/ragdolls files. Do you have intention to add support for this soon? Else i maybe i could start implementing this.
Or what do you thing that should be prioritary?

Also i could make english or spanish translations of the docs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:51 pm 

See you private messages for SVN account informations.

Raydium is already providing ragdolls with RayODE. It might be a good idea for me to add a simple demo for this. (edit : It now done, see "ragdoll.c" when updating from SVN !), and i'm working on a simple "animation" support, using MD2 files. Feel free to add your own support ! (and your idea is waaaaay better than my quick hack for MD2 files :) )

API Documentations are already in english (see wiki) but tutorials were translated very quickly using a automatic translator, so they need a big rewrite ... feel free too ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:37 am 

ok, i have received the svn account.
Also i have tested the ragdoll demo, it's very funny¡¡¡ i have passed minutes playing with that poor guy.

I have notices the demo uses 100% cpu until i press space. The reason there was the raydium_ode_motor_power_max_name in the elses into the display function.
So i have put an ragdoll counter and that code doesn't run unless there are 1 or more ragdolls.

And i don't know which are the keys 1 and 2 (not F1 and F2). Which ones they are?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:25 am 

Raydium always use 100% of CPU (as any other "real time" engine). About the calls to raydium_ode_motor_power_max_name, the explanation is a the top of the file : this is a "quick'n dirty test" ;) I will clean it (and other demos and tutorials needs it too) one day ...

1 and 2 are correct codes for F1 and F2 (for raydium_key_last) but raydium_light_disable() and raydium_light_enable() calls must be removed since this demo is using display lists (like others). Use console (key-below-esc) and call "raydium_rendering_displaylists_disable()" if needed (and we must use other function keys).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:06 am 

with 100%cpu i mean the game has a poor framerate, caused by the error messages written in the terminal.

And about the console, it doesn't work for me. My (spanish) keyboard maybe has another keycode for that key. It has the symbols º(ussual), ª(with shift), \ (with alt gr)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:15 am 

This is interesting. Can you compile Raydium with "DEBUG_KEYS" enabled in raydium/config.h to see the correct key code ? It seems again that GLUT was not a good choice for keyboard management ... (I was planning to switch to OpenGLUT, one day ...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:40 am 

maybe SDL? it appears to be the standar in this kind of matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:48 am 

the key codes are:
Code:
1186   (ussual)
1170   (shift)
1186   (alt)
1092   (alt gr)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:24 am 

Ok (here, it's 1178). And do you have a "²" key ? Wich key do you use usually in games to make the console appears ? (so much questions :) )

I've added this key ("º", and probable US one) to key.c ... maybe a wrong idea, but let's try.
The problem of SDL is that's a huge dependency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:29 am 

no, i haven't that little 2 key.

I have look at the SDL keyboard and keysim files. It looks like the key used by the progrram are the 'unicode' translated characters, but those are get translating the keyboards according its language into unicodes... so could be a long task.

And now, the console works fine with that changes in the key.c :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:00 pm 

i have seen the video rayExploCam.av. It's great, and i was looking something like that to my clon of the game Burnout.
Is possible to put the sources in the svn?
And, how can i add a file to the project? modifying by hand the makefile?