Raydium 3D Game Engine

Official forum for everything about Raydium, ManiaDrive, MeMak, ...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:42 pm 

See Raydium revision 904.

Some things are still left:
- Upload data files from the data-lensflare.zip package to the repository.
- Update API Reference on the Wiki.
- Add RayODE support.

If you've some time, feel free to help me finishing those things.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:16 pm 

Hello,

Files uploaded to repository.

Windows sdk is ready for lensflare.

Can you be more specific about rayode support ?

Have a nice day.

Ouille

Last edited by ouille on Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:49 pm 

Thanks for your help. Xfennec and me had the idea to do the same for lens flares as it is already done for particles.
Xfennec wrote:
It would be a good idea to make a link between this feature and RayODE, so it would be possible to attach lensflares to elements, as particles emitters currently allows. It could be done after, and it's probably quite easy to do (I'm OK to do it if needed).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:33 pm 

Now works perfectly for Linux (ocomp & odyncomp).
Great, nice addition to the engine ! Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:18 pm 

Hello,

Work well on windows.

win32 sdk updated in dowload section.

Have a nice day

Ouille.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:38 pm 

Big thanks to Vicente again for all the work on this topic. 8)

To come back to Xfennec's offer to add RayODE support, it would be really great to count this to the list of features.
I'm currently planning a Micro Machines like racing game together with some friends. It would be totally wonderful to have a simple and easy way to apply this effect on the vehicles. So, please add RayODE support if you have some time left to implement it. I think that would really helpful for others, too.

Thank you very much. :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:22 pm 

It is planned, don't worry. It's only a matter of days... if no more bug/leak/whatever is found ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:06 pm 

Done, in rev 916.

I've added a comment, as a note, in the head of lensflare.c, since a few things need to be fixed. The slot management (point 2 in the comment) seems quite urgent, since RayODE element attachments may exhaust lensflare slots very quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:59 pm 

last points fixed in rev 918.

And if someone wants to create an UFO 3D model, we could enhance a bit the test-lensflare demo ! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:18 pm 

First I want to thank Xfennec for implementing the RayODE support. 8)

Currently I'm trying to create and add a simple UFO 3D model for the UFO invasion. During the tests I've found a mysterious behavior that can also be reproduced using the current version of the lens flare test. Can you reproduce this issue on your system, too?

Seems the issue only occurs when using multiple lens flare effects at the same time. When one LF is not in the visible area, but another LF is visible, it'll not drawn correctly. I've found out that the issue looks different with different frame rates.

raydium_render_fps_limit(60):
raydium_render_fps_limit(5):

If anyone has spontaneously an idea why this behavior occurs, please let me know, I'll try to find the reason and of course we need a solution for this.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:07 pm 

It always seems the normal behavior to me ! :) It's very visible with the UFO effect when a LF jumps out of the screen, for instance.

No direct idea of what it can be, but there's a raydium_frame_time + static variable (pt) "combo" in lensflare.c, it's very likely somewhere around this.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:11 pm 

R939: Uploaded a very simple UFO 3D model, hope you like it a bit. ;)

The issue written about earlier: I think that I've found the problem, indeed it's the pt variable that is calculated only once for all lens flares and not for every one individually. I'll play with this a bit more, then I'll prepare a commit to fix this ugly thing. It's not possible to reproduce it in all situations, so you probably haven't seen the issue that I mean, yet. Perhaps you can see it with the new UFO models hiding each others lens flare. You have to see all UFOs, but at least one lens flare has to be hidden. Anyway I'll commit a fix when I've made sure that it'll not break the expected behavior, using the lens flare test demos for example.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:02 pm 

R940: Problem has been solved.

I'm now thinking about to add another demo with a 3D scene which uses lots of lens flares, perhaps a street with different types of lamps or something. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:57 pm 

Absolutely great ! Love the way it looks (but I should state the UFO model is ... very detailed and heavy :)

Just wondering: when a LF became visible, it appears smoothly, would it be hard to do the same when it disappears ?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:08 pm 

Xfennec wrote:
... the UFO model is ... very detailed and heavy :)
Yeah, perhaps there are to many different patterns visible, the surface could be a bit more flat. But how does a real UFO look like, do you have seen and made a photo of one anywhere? :P

This was my reference picture:

Feel free to modify the UFO.blend model, so it'll look more likely your UFO vision agenda. :D

Xfennec wrote:
... when a LF became visible, it appears smoothly, would it be hard to do the same when it disappears ?
This is also my next wish for the lens flare effects. As Vicente written already before ...
Xfennec wrote:
The way the flare appears, in a quick but smooth way looks very great, specially on small lens. Isn't it possible to do the same when it disappear ? And allow to change the speed of this in the config file ?
Vicente wrote:
I did only the "appearance" cause I know is a real optical effect. But I have no read about the inverse effect. Anyaway it's a gamma adjustment, quite easy to achieve with real HDR, that occurs in fact when you stop viewing a point of light. But as we don't have real HDR and we don't touch gamma I don't see how this can be reproduced...
Anyway, yes, an "inverse" effect can be done. The question is: when you stop viewing a source of light, the 2D projected source(point) of lensflare has to be keept? I mean, there is no logical reason to calculate the new position of the lensflare if you are not really seeing it. So it would be like a residual effect in the retina of the eye.
Xfennec wrote:
About "flare disappearing" effect position, your question is damn good ! My idea was based on afterimage illusion, so you're right, it should probably stay at the last position on the screen. Strange when when you think about it :)
Vicente wrote:
About "flare disappearing" then it's decided: The effect has to stay in the last 2D calculated position.
... this should be possible. My thought was to blurry out the spot of the light source. I mean this effect: When you look into a glare for some time, after that you close your eyes, you will see the spot of the light source for some time afterwards fading out slowly. I don't know yet if this will be looking realistic, so I'll make some tests, trying out some disappearing effects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next