Raydium 3D Game Engine

Official forum for everything about Raydium, ManiaDrive, MeMak, ...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:24 pm 

Hi,

I recently corrected some problems in the maniadrive package in mandriva, and made two freedesktop bug reports:

for ati cards
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=28069

for intel cards
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=28002

What was pointed out in the ati bug report is that it appears maniadrive is making too many calls to glxMakeCurrent,
and indeed, if looking at raydium/myglut-x11.c:myglutGetEvents() it calls it for ConfigureNotify, but inside an if with certain
conditions, and then again, always at the exit of that function. And this appears to be the reason of the car keeping
jumping.

I made an workaround of setting LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=true what appears to correct the issue. But the problem
appears to not be in mesa, but in raydium.

Thanks,
Paulo

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:11 am 

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this here. I'll investigate and see if we can reduce glxMakeCurrent() calls to fix this.

Do you have more information about the test case to reproduce the issue ? (driver version, mandriva release, ...)
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:48 pm 

Hi,

It should be possible to test the problem in mandriva cooker, but the package should now be also functional in 2010.0.

The LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT workaround was added only in the cooker package.

The test case should be to run with ati or intel open source drivers.

A wild guess is that it may also be related to key press/release/autorepeat as in, it starts a deceleration animation just when another key press event is received/handled. A guess because it appears to have enough free cpu and is running average at above 150 fps.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:56 pm 

Sadly, the only ATI system I have seems to be badly supported by the free ATI driver (mdv 2009.1, Driver "ati", Mobility Radeon HD 3400)

I've almost never more than a few FPS, and I see the message "unknown chip id 0x95c4, can't guess." when using any GL application.

Is a Mandriva 2010 supporting this chipset ? Which "recent" ATI chipsets are supported by this driver ?

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:15 pm 

The problem is far easier to reproduce with an intel video card. But the best way to reproduce it is in Mandriva cooker. If using 2010.0, you also need to ensure you install maniadrive from updates.

The package was broken for significant time in Mandriva, see http://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=37748

Mandriva 2010.0 ships with the ati driver version 6.12.4, and it should be supported, e.g. http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver ... ati-6.12.4 has a 0x95C4 entry.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:14 pm 

Just got my hands on a mdv 2010.0 with an Intel G41 chipset, and here's my current observations:
- out-of-the-box ManiaDrive (1.2-10mdv2010.0) is playable, with no particular glitch
- framerate looks low (20-25 ?), but the game reports more than 70 FPS

With the current SVN head of Raydium and ManiaDrive on the same machine:
- playable too, and "feels" the same as mdv release of MD
- framerate looks the same, but the game reports a more realistic 30 FPS

... so far, it looks like the game is more or less playable on such low end hardware (way better in window mode and with disabled shadows) but reports wrong FPS with the Raydium release used in mdv package.

Isn't your hardware simply too weak to make the game running "smoothly" ?

After a quick review, about glxMakeCurrent(), we're only making one call per frame. The call related to ConfigureNotify is only done when rendering window is resized (1 time per application launch, most of the time). I've done a quick test, removing all glxMakeCurrent(), and FPS remains more or less the same.

Let me know what you think of all this, and on my side, I'll try to find another setup with another Intel chispet to reproduce exactly the issue.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:23 pm 

Many thanks for testing, and sorry that I did only test in cooker (soon to be 2010.1)

I believe the difference in glxinfo output, as reported in https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=28069 may be the actual cause. Cut&paste of small portion of diff with an ati card:

-direct rendering: Yes
+direct rendering: No (LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT set)
-OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.8.1
+OpenGL version string: 1.4 (1.5 Mesa 7.8.1)

The remaining are some GL features available only in one or the other model (but causing a lot of noisy in diff)

I think both cards are ok, probably an issue with Mesa 7.8.1 branch. Well I am reporting the problem both here and in freedesktop, as I don't know by myself how to correct it or what is wrong, just found out that setting LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT makes difference (and changed the rpm package to do so for now :-)